Are you feeling threatened or endangered by your ex? Are you scared or worried about abuse or harassment?  First, if you are in immediate danger, please contact 911 and get help right now.  The responding police officer may be able to get you a temporary restraining order until you can find a more permanent solution.  If you are currently in a safe place, but feel that you are experiencing abuse or harassment, you may need to consider taking legal action by getting a Domestic Violence Restraining Order (DVRO).  The experienced and dedicated attorneys at Robles Law understands the difficult questions you are facing, and we are available with answers and solutions to help you obtain peace of mind.

What Is a Restraining Order and How Can It Help?

A Domestic Violence Restraining Order is a court order to protect against abuse or domestic violence.  DVROs can place restrictions on a person who is threatening, harassing, or abusing another person.  These restrictions may include ordering the restrained person to stay away from you, your home and place of work, or your children and possibly other family members.  The restrained persons may also be ordered to make no contact or communications – in person, by phone, by text, by email, etc. – with you for the duration of the order.

Do I Qualify for a Restraining Order? How Do I get One?

Domestic Violence Restraining Orders can be obtained by anyone who is experiencing or who has experienced recent domestic violence or abuse from a person with whom you are in a close relationship.  Let us look at that one definition at a time:

  • Recent – at least one incident must have occurred within the past thirty days.
  • Domestic violence – abuse against a family member, member of a romantic relationship, or cohabitant with whom the abuser has a close personal relationship.
  • Abuse – intentionally or recklessly causing or attempting to cause bodily injury, or sexual assault, or place another person in reasonable apprehension of imminent serious bodily injury to himself, herself, or another.  Abuse can be spoken, written, or physical—it need not be actual infliction of physical injury.  Abuse can be accomplished by destroying personal property, by telephoning someone, or even through the mail.
  • Close relationship – a current or former spouse or domestic partner; a person you are dating or used to date; a person you live with or used to live with; or a relative (parent, child, brother, sister, grandmother, grandfather, in-law).

How Do I Get Started?

If you are being threatened, harassed, or abused, and you believe that a restraining order could be a solution, contact the law firm of Robert Robles Law today to discuss the next steps.  We are eager to help protect you during this time.